Thursday, September 3, 2009

Are they photographers?

Is it just me or has the quality of paid work being produced lacking since the release of affordable DSLR's and people wanting to make a quick buck?

All too often I read a post, or I see an add on Craigslist for someone with a DSLR offering "quality" images with no concept or knowledge about how light works or how to use their camera outside of the "green box". With the now affordable price on cameras there has been a tremendous increase of purchasers thinking they will earn a living from their camera, kit lens and wide angle adapter. What they fail to realize is that owning a nice camera does not make you a photographer, it takes years of learning and practice. What astounds me even more is that these people are making money and the customers are happy with the images. Yes, the main goal is to satisfy your clients but to be honest most of the shots produced I have seen from theses "photographers" can be accomplished with a P&S and they fail to realize that the equipment is a tool. Recently I have been thinking of getting a stethoscope and becoming a doctor, would you feel comfortable with me doing your surgery? No because the standards of such practices are set high, most clients today are happy with such lacking talent provided by a "guy with a camera".

So for all the knowledge lacking photographers out there, this is not a blow to aggravate or maybe it is? All I am trying to say is before going out and shooting a wedding, senior portrait, etc for pay. Step back and think about the quality of work you are producing compared to others that have been at it for years. If you are in it for the long haul and would like to learn, by all mean I will offer my assistance if you want it.

To the customers paying for this: Do you honestly see anything special about the photos you are given or are you just not willing to spend the extra money? Yes the economy is bad right now, yes I would like to drop the prices on my rates but does the economy being bad lower the cost of my equipment?

I got an email not too long ago about a client asking why I wanted to charge her X amount of money for X amount of hours (reasonably cheap if I may add) and that was too expensive, than proceeded to ask if my children drove mini Hummers. I politely explained to her that I am not using entry level equipment and one of my lenses cost me $1800. So if I am charging $50 for 2 hours worth of shooting, 1 in post processing, travel expenses, wear and tear on equipment, etc. That is less than minimum wage for a skilled trade and when it comes down to replacing equipment years down the road I don't have the money to because I have been working for peanuts. Something drastic has to change for current photographers out there, the ones who produce consistent and quality work for their customers need to recognized.

If you took the time to read this, thank you for bearing with my rant.

2 comments:

  1. As you said "...the main goal is to satisfy your clients..." It matters not whether they are a 'photographer', it's whether someone out there likes what they see in print and wishes to own it.

    I have seen many outstanding shots taken by someone with much less 'experience' than me. It's not the equipment - it's how the person uses the 'tool'.

    http://GalleryOfAmericanLife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a joke I heard once aboput a plumber. Guy calls a plumber and says "quick I need your help. My sinks are backed up and nothing will go down!" The plumber gets there, spends a bit of time looking at the plumbing and what is trying to be put down the sink. After bout 20 min he gets out his hammer and taps at the pipes under the sink. He empties the sink, turns on the disposal and all is well again. After putting his tools away he turns to the client and says "That'll be $100.00." The client, shocked, replies "All you did was tap on the pipes under the sink for a min......I could have done that. I'm not paying." So the plumber leaves and sends an itemized invoice of the charges. 1.Travel-5.00, 2.Labor-10.00, 3.Equipment use-5.00, 4.Knowing where to tap-80.00.

    Both of these statements seem to be stressing the knowledge and experience as the main focus of what a client is paying for. And that would be correct. But equipment can be expensive and we have to set our prices so that we can offset our equipment. Those who through experience have found a way to get stunning images with less in the way of equipment have found ways to simply cut their costs. Those who have no knowledge and experience get lucky sometimes. But there is a lack of consistency in their results. This can cause distrust in the marketplace for reputable photographers everywhere, and increase the cost of doing business even more. Learn before you charge.

    ReplyDelete